News Briefs

Medical School Exchange

A new international exchange program involving students and faculty members from the Medical School and medical schools and universities in foreign countries has been announced by Dr. Robert H. Ebert, dean of the Medical School.

The program, which will be financed by the Paul Dudley White Fund for International Studies, will enable more undergraduate medical students to participate in exchange programs. It will also provide for the exchange of medical school staffs at levels from full professors to instructors for varying lengths of time ranging to a full sabbatical year. In the past, only faculty members exchanged positions.

"The exchange of both student and faculty personnel will do much to further mutual understanding of medical, social and human problems in our own as well as in foreign cultures," said Dr. Dieter Kooh-Weser, associate dean for International Affairs at the Medical School.

"Recent experiences of undergraduate medical students from Harvard who have had an opportunity to participate in study programs abroad." koch-Weser added, "have pointed up the significant value of such experiences to our students."

"Our plans," said Dr. Ebert at a recent dinner which honored Dr. White, "are laid in the hope that from the Fund's modest financial beginning we may be able to increase this financial resource and thus enable others to move ahead in Dr. White's footsteps, recognizing that the conquest of disease and human misery is a common goal that transcends national boundaries and petty prejudices."

Housing Inspection

Dr. Robert H. Ebert, dean of the Medical School, will inspect housing conditions in the Medical School area this afternoon with the members of the Roxbury Tenants of Harvard Association.

Ebert accepted the group's invitation to tour on December 18, the day after more than 100 students, faculty members, workers, and tenants of Harvard-owned apartment buildings held a rally at the Medical School to demonstrate against University housing policies.

The demonstrators charged that University-owned buildings were being allowed to deteriorate, and that rents for unoccupied apartments were being raised to discourage people from moving into the neighborhood.

Morris Appointed

J. Carrell Morris, Gordon McKay Professor of Sanitary Chemistry, has been appointed to the editorial advisory board of the American Chemical Society publication Environmental Science and Technology.

Dr. Richard L. Kenyon, director of publications for the 115,000-member Society, announced the selection last week.

The monthly journal is designed primarily for scientists and engineers concerned with studying and maintaining or enhancing the quality of our natural environment through the use of chemical principles.

Morris will serve a three-year term.

Mayr Wins National Medal

Ernst Mayr, director and professor of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, received one of the six 1970 National Medal of Science Awards for his contributions to systematics, bio-geography, the study of birds, and the evolution of animal populations.

The awards are presented annually to those individuals judged by the President and his science advisers to be "deserving of special recognition by reason of their outstanding contributions to knowledge in the physical, biological, mathematical, or engineering sciences."

The medals are the Government's highest awards for distinguished achievements in science and engineering.