Thinclads Place Four in IC4A's; Finish Seventh in Team Standing

Four Harvard trackmen placed in the IC4A track and field championships at New Brunswick, N.J., this weekend, but the Crimson finished far behind front runner Maryland in the meet's team standings.

(Due to an error in the printed schedule, the CRIMSON erroneously reported in Friday's edition that the meet would be held in New York City.)

Keith Colburn, Noel Hare, Charlie Ajootian and Frank Champi scored a total of 13 points for the Crimson to give it a firm hold on seventh place in the championships. Winning Maryland racked up 45 of its 53 points in the field events to gain a one-point victory over pre-meet favorite Villanova, which was shut out in the field events. Yale scored 23 points to tie Morgan State for third place.

Colburn ran one of the fastest half-miles in his career to finish third in the event Saturday. His 1:48.7 Clocking was his fastest since his freshman year, when he set a University record of 1:48.0 in the British National Championships. The captain-elect for next season was sidelined most of last year with a ruptured Achilles tendon, and his times this year had been in the low 1:50's before Saturday's race.

Colburn finished behind New York University's Byron Dyce and 'Villanova's Frank Murphy, who waged a heated battle for first place in the event. Dyce was the eventual winner, and his time of 1:47.4 was the fastest ever in the East.

In the broad jump, Harvard's Skip Hare qualified for the NCAA championships this summer by jumping 24 ft. 3 in., good for a second place finish in the meet. Both he and teammate Bob Galliers had passed the 24-foot barrier earlier in the spring, but Galliers failed to place in the event this weekend.

Senior Charlie Ajootian, the Crimson's leading hammer thrower this season and Penn Relays champion, finished second Friday with a toss of 189 ft.5 in.

Teammate Dick Benka had a rather disappointing afternoon, however, as he finished in sixth place in the shot put after being a pre-meet favorite in the event. His 55 ft. 6 1/4 in. toss was more than four feet less than his 59 ft. 8 1/4 in. heave earlier this spring which set a Harvard outdoor record.

Frank Champi, a former Harvard record-holder in the Javelin, threw the spear 225 ft. 5 in. Friday for a fourth place finish. The present record-holder, sophomore Richie Szaro, did not participate in the meet.