Committee of 15 to Offer Changes in Rights Report

The Committee of Fifteen will propose Tuesday revisions of the Faculty's interim Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities. But the Committee has not yet completed work on the second part of its report-an analysis of the causes of last spring's events at Harvard.

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences adopted the Committee's interim statement of the rights and responsibilities of members of the University community at its special June 9 meeting.

At that time, the Faculty also recognized what it called "the need to formulate in the near future." a new document that "will emerge from the widest discussion within and will reflect a wide consensus of all members of the Harvard community."

The draft the Committee will present this week has been the subject of "considerable discussion," Alan E. Heimert '49. Master of Eliot House and spokesman for the Committee, said last night, but he declined to give details of the draft. Heimert said that the Committee's new formulation is not intended to be a final version of the resolution, and that he expects it to be widely discussed within the University.

The resolution adopted by the Faculty in June condemns as "unacceptable" these activities:

"violence against any member or guest of the University community";

"deliberate interference with academic freedom and freedom of speech";

"theft or willful destruction of University property or of the property of members of the University";

"foreible interference with the freedom of movement of any member or guest of the University";

and "obstruction of the normal processes and activities essential to the functions of the University community."

The Committee's initial report did not include developments after the morning of April 10, when police ejected students from occupied University Hall. The Committee had planned to publish in September an account of events after that time.

But the expanded interim report will probably not be ready until early November.

At its September 30 meeting, the Faculty approved the Committee's recommendation to create a Committee on Rights and Responsibilities to undertake student discipline. But it postponed unti Tuesday its consideration of means of discipline against alleged violations of the resolution by Faculty members or administrators.