Around the Nation: How the People Voted

ELECTORAL VOTES BY STATE

ALABAMA (10)

George Wallace's home state gave him over 70 per cent last night with Nixon finishing second, and Humphrey a miserable third. Elected to the Senate on Wallacc's coattails was former Lt. Gov. James B. Allen, who beat conservative Republican Perry O. Hooper in a walk. Although Democrats were expected to add to their 5-3 majority in the state's congressional delegation, all three incumbent Republicans were returned.

ALASKA (3)

Early returns indicated that Nixon would probably win Alaska's three electoral votes, while Democratic House speaker Mike Gravel would edge out Anchorage Mayor Elmer Rasmuson for the Senate seat vacated by Ernest Gruening. Gruening's write-in eort to keep his seat seemed destined to fail badly.

ARIZONA (5)

Nixon won in this state--the only one outside of the deep South which went for Goldwater in 1964. Arizona not only gave Nixon its 9 electoral votes, but elected Goldwater to take retiring Carl Hayden's place in the Senate. As he left for a sixty-day fishing trip, Goldwater said he looked forward "to serving in the interests of the way of life that you and I all love." Jack Williams beat Sam Goddard for the second time in the race for Governor.

ARKANSAS (6)

Wallace, expected to win Arkansas comfortably, just edged out both Nixon and Humphrey. At the same time, however, Republican Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller defeated speaker of the House Marion Crank, and Democratic dove. J. William Fulbright easily beat Charles J. Bernard, an unknown Republican. The Arkansas Congressional delegation remained unchanged, at 3-1.

CALIFORNIA (40)

California dangled its 40 electoral votes before the nation, preventing many from going to sleep. At 5:00 this morning, only 26 per cent of its vote had been counted--giving Nixon 47 per cent and Humphrey 46 per cent. Alan Cranston beat conservative Max Rafferty for Tom Kuchel's old seat in the Senate.

COLORADO (6)

Nixon again with 51 per cent over Humphrey who got 41 per cent of the vote. Peter Dominick defeated Steve McNichols to go back to the Senate.

CONNECTICUT (8)

Humphrey carried the state. Democratic incumbent Sen. Abraham Ribicoff swept to re-election, beating Republican Edwin H. May, a former congressman. May centered his attack on Ribicoff's support of George McGovern for president and on the speech Ribicoff gave at the Democratic convention denouncing the "gestapo tactis" of the Chicago police. There was no change in the House delegation.

DELAWARE (3)