TV Program Shows That War Can Be Fun

Peace Is Too Boring, TV Simulation Proves

Failure meant the end of the world. I had to succeed or we'd all die. Agonizing seconds ticked by on the studio clock as I waited for the decision of the New Zenith ministers.

"We agree," was all they said, but it was enough.

Exulting, I hurried back over the huge cables to Nordo to report the success of my mission to my teammates. One by one the other ministers returned from their negotiations -- and unbelievably everyone has agreed to meet at the peace table.

We felt very proud of ourselves as the round of negotiations drew to a close. Singlehandedly, Nordo had settled the crisis. She would do down in history books as the preserver of world peace.

As the chief ministers arose for the final action choice, though, I had a subtle premonition of disaster. But it was too late for any further discussion; our paths were definitively chosen. Nervously I chewed the end of my Bic pen and waited for the speeches to begin.

New Zenith was the first to talk. Praising us for our persistence, she announced her intention of choosing peace over war. At least one country--in line with her idealistic image of herself--had been honest with us.

Outland was next, and she followed the lead of New Zenith as usual. We statesmen and diplomats understand that situation.

The Fear

Then it was our turn. In our usual wordy, ambiguous style, we deplored the explosive situation, and then we proudly detailed our successful attempt to bring all parties to the peace table. As our chief minister spoke into the microphones, I happened to glance over at the faces of the Inland team, gleaming in the bright lights, and from that moment on I knew what it was to feel both humiliation and fear.

I found my intuition had not failed me as I listened to Inland's chief minister speak. L heard him deny that he had ever agreed to a conference, and I waited with loathing while he announced his intention of continuing the war.

But there was still some hope. Inland was just the puppet of larger, more powerful states. If they chose peace, all might yet be safe.

Slowly the representative for Hamil began to talk. And I discovered he had been lying through his teeth when he had talked peace before, for he now denounced peace and relayed his country's decision to move their troops against Outland. Though a poor country, Hamil had more than enough men to spare.

And then came Transania. I no longer had any doubt of what the outcome would be, and yet a stray glimmer of hope still remained. But it was to be immediately snuffed out, as Transania, New Zenith's equivalent in strength and prestige, affirmed her alliance with Hamil and Inland.

I knew even before Control's announcement that there could only be one possible outcome: World War III. And the frustration was ever so much more galling when I thought how sure of peace we had been, and how proud of what we had done.

The Most Dangerous Game ended with a moment of silence for the world that had been, before the players brought a nuclear holocaust upon themselves. As the TV cameras blinked off I felt a curious letdown--it was all over. In four weeks we had gotten no further than a large inconclusive war; and then in one final week we had brought the world to an end.