'Cliffe Fights City on Library Plan; Parking Threatens Quad, 4th House

Radcliffe told the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts yesterday that it should not be forced to build so large a parking area for the Hillis Library that the parking spaces would cover part of the site of the Fourth House and probably part of Radcliffe Quad.

Attorney Philip M. Cronin '53, arguing for Radcliffe, termed the City of Cambridge's demand for 92 parking spaces around the new library unreasonable. He asked the judges to uphold a lower court ruling exempting Radcliffe from the parking requirement.

If Cambridge wins the case, Cronin said, Radcliffe would have to use land for parking along Garden St. that is now set aside for the Fourth House, a land-scaped area planned for Lianaean St. and perhaps a grass portion of the Quad.

Asks Exemption

Cronin agreed with Cambridge City Solicitor Andrew T. Trodden that 92 parking spaces are the number required by the city's zoning ordinance. But the argued, that Radcliffe is exempt from the ordinance, under state law, because it is using the land for educational purposes.

The City refused to grant the parking exemption to Radcliffe last spring, but was overruled when Radcliffe took it to court in July. Trodden then appealed to the Supreme Judicial Court.

President Mary I. Bunting said yesterday that the court fight has not delayed construction of the library, which is scheduled for completion in September.

Another Parking Site

Even if Radcliffe loses, she said, it might be possible to find land farther away from the library that would be suitable for a parking area.

"But we'd have to complete the library without landscaping around it, without trees," she added.

The court is expected to hand down its decision next month.