Harriers Could Place Third In IC4A Title Race Today

Villanova and Georgetown should stage a record-breaking duel for the IC4A title today at Van Cortlandt Park in New York. But Harvard -- ninth last year -- will be fighting for third place to cap off a fine comeback season.

The Hoyas have won the prestigious event for the past two years, but Villanova whipped them in a dual meet earlier this month. And both squads are looking forward to the rematch.

Navy, which beat the Crimson in the Heps last week, and Michigan State, second in the Big Ten this year, will battle it out with Harvard for third, fourth, and fifth places.

Notre Dame and Army finished second and third last year, but they have grown considerably weaker. The Cadets have two runners returning who finished in the top ten last year, but both of them -- Jim Warner (third) and Robert McDonald (tenth) -- have been hobbled by injuries this season.

The Crimson's Doug Hardin, who met his match at the Heps when he placed second to Navy's Buzz Lawlor, will be in the heat of the race for the individual title. Sophomore Steve Stageberg of Georgetown and unbeaten Charlie Messenger of Villanova, along with Lawlor, will be Hardin's main competition.

The Crimson hasn't had an IC4A individual victor since 1928.

Harvard coach Bill McCurdy will race the same seven men who ran in the Heps--Hardin, Tim McLoone, Jim Smith, Dick Howe, Joe Ryan, Bob Stempson, and Jim Baker.