LINING THEM UP

Soccer

The future of this year's soccer team is definitely a '64-dollar question. If sophomores Chris Ohiri, Billy Ward, and company fulfill the spectacular promise of their undefeated freshman year, Coach Bruce Munro will have his third Ivy League championship in four seasons. If the sophomore laden team fails to jell, however, this will be, in Munro's phrase, "only a next year's team."

Despite Crimson victories in pre season scrimmages against B.U. and M.I.T., Munro is emphatically unsatisfied. "As yet there has been no semblance of team co-ordination," he claimed. "It will improve, but the way we've played so far, we can't begin to compete in the Ivy League."

The varsity has eleven returning lettermen, five starters, and a host of young blood from last year's freshman team, one of the best in Harvard's history. But of the five lettermen, some were starters by default last year, and the seven sophomores who may start will have the usual problems of inexperience in team co-ordination and varsity competition.

Ohiri Will Lead Attack

The center of Munro's forward line is impressive. At the insides playmakers Seamus Malin and Captain Ted Wendell flank the incomparable Crimson center forward Chris Ohiri. Called by Munro "very probably the best center forward around," Ohiri scored twice for Nigeria in the 1960 Olympics. Last year for the Yardlings he racked up 36 goals in nine games and knocked out four goalies with his slashing drives.

But the two outsides present a problem. Current starters sophomore Ebenezer Klufio and junior Mike Kramer are not passing well, and Munro may be forced to experiment with George Armah, a sophomore who did not play last year.

Behind the forward wall supplies are limited. The varsity graduated six halfbacks last spring, and letterman Tony Davies is the only almost-sure starter in one of the slots this year. Billy Ward, last year called the "backbone of the freshmen" by Yardling Coach Dana Getchell, has not had a heavy workout this year because of illness, but he will have to be reckoned with soon.

Sophomores Emmanuel Boye and Dave Clapp are scrambling for the right half position, while senior Doug Devine has the upper hand for left half.

Nor is Munro definite about his fullbacks. Louie Williams and Charlie David are on the first team at the moment, but Williams, yet another sophomore, "has a lot to learn," according to Munro, and will have to scramble to beat out returning letterman Sandy Cortesi.

John Adams started at goalie last year, and he will start there this year and quite possibly next. The lanky, 6' 1" junior looks more like an exclamation point for Munro than a question mark.

"On paper we're good," Munro summed up, "but no one around here is predicting a national championship before our first game."