CRIMSON WEEKLY CALENDAR

CINEMA

CAMBRIDGE

BRATTLE: Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring continues for another week. The Motion Picture Academy called it the best foreign film of 1960. Our man found it "a brilliant failure." Evenings at 5:30, 7:30, 9:30. TR 6-4226.

UNIVESITY: Ft. Lauderdale's annual Beer Bust has been processed and sanitized by Hollywood to emerge sans Beer. A mildly amusing novel has become a very dull, ill-starred (Dolores Hart, George Hamilton) little film. Don't bother about WHERE THE BOYS ARE; the co-feature, on the other hand, might well be worth the effort. SERENGETI is a fascinating color documentary of jungle zoology, by the vater und sohn team of Bernhard and Michael Grzimek.

Starts Wednesday: Sir Alec Guiness's least interesting film to date, TUNES OF GLORY casts him as the rough-neck unlovable colonel of a Scottish regiment in H. M. forces soon to be replaced by a tight-laced Sandhurst man. The elements of drama, yes--but precious few compounds result. Daily from 2:30. UN 4-4580.

ASTOR: Marlon Brando, when he was about to conclude his first job of directing, called in the cast of ONE-EYED JACKS and asked them to vote on an ending. Though nothing could save this film from being touched by cliche, it is at least interesting as a curiosity piece. Stars Brando and Karl Malden, off the 'chute. Daily 7:20, 9:30. LI 2-5030.

EXETER: Roberto Rossellini's latest (it's also one of his best) GENERAL DELLA ROVERE. Vittorio de Sica is a shiftless panhandler who impersonates the General for the Nazis, and is eventually metamorphosed into a man as brave and loyal as Della Rovere had been. An exciting and moving film. Evenings at 6:25, 8:45. KE 6-7067.

GARY: At last, LA DOLCE VITA has come to Boston. Perhaps the most magnificent film to come from post-war Italy. Doice is an angry and moving indictment of the continent's rotting aristocracy; and it's also a remarkably beautiful film. This is no movie to be missed. Evenings at 8:30. LI 2-7040.

TELEPIX: The original BLUE ANGEL (not to be confused with the Mai Britt remake) continues. Marlene Dietrich provides much of the entertainment. Evenings at 7:35, 9:55