THE SPORTING SCENE

HOUSE INTRAMURALS

Kirkland House, which has won the Straus Trophy for four consecutive years, leads the competition for this symbol of House intramural athletic supremacy with a total of 961/2 points at the end of the winter season. In years past, Kirkland has depended on its strong spring teams to win the trophy.

Winthrop In Second Place

Going into the spring season, Winthrop stands second with 908 points, and Adams third with 868. Dunster is in fourth place with 786, followed by Leverett with 744, Lowell with 713 1/2, Eliot with 696 1/2, Quincy with 641 1/2, and Dunster with 348.

Volleyball was the only sport in which Kirkland won a championship. The Deacons picked up most of their points from second and third place positions. They finished second in fencing and boxing, third in basketball, hockey, squash and wrestling, and fifth in swimming.

Other winter sports champions were Winthrop, in basketball and hockey, Quincy, in swimming; Adams, in fencing; and Dudley, in boxing. Adams also won the interhouse squash title, although Dunster, as the leader of the "A" League, represented the University against Yale. The fencing crown also went to Adams.

At the end of the fall season, Kirkland, with 340 points, placed third in the overall standings. Eliot, aided by championships in football and soccer, took first with 380 points. Dunster was second with 350.

Winthrop, winner of the touch football and cross country titles, scored 325 points, to hold fourth place at the end of the fall. The rest of the fall standings included Adams at 295, Leverett at 270, Lowell at 260, Quincy at 245, and Dudley at 85.

The spring schedule for interhouse competition, which, according to Adoph W. Samborski, director of Intramural Athletics, is currently in preparation, will include basketball, softball, tennis, golf, track, rowing singles, and rowing eights.