THE SPORTING SCENE

RUGBY CLUB

Although the Crimson Rugby Club will not take its traditional spring trip this vacation, the outlook this season is "very promising," Charlie Rowe, club president reports. With both veterans and talented newcomers among the 35 to 40 men currently practicing, Rowe forsees little manpower problems and predicts two exceptionally strong teams.

The club plans no formal practice for the coming spring recess, but some squad members will probably continue training in Cambridge. The Faculty Committee on Athletics has refused to give the club permission for a spring training trip be cause of ungentlemanly behavior in Bermuda last year.

Athletes from all four College classes and some graduate schools are competing for the 30 places on the A and B teams. Among returning linemen who will probably see A squad action are Captain Dick Baker, Lee Freeman, Dick Shulman, Ed Smith, and John von Schalkwyk.

Fourteen of sixteen evenly-matched and able candidates will form the two backfield units. John Damis, Hywel Rees, and Rowe are among the veteran backs working out this spring. Jack Downing is nursing a severe knee injury and may miss the entire season. Buzz Miller and Rick Rice are two of the many outstanding newcomers who will probably play extensively this year.

With a schedule including four Eastern Rugby Union games, both A and B teams open the official season with home matches against Cornell on Saturday, April 15. Two Yale squads visit the following week, and on April 29, the Crimson plays a twin-bill at Brown. The club plays its only non-league game at Princeton on May 6 finishing the regular schedule on May 10 with home contests against MIT.

In the only outside engagement to date, an informal scrimmage with members of the Boston Rugby Club, the backfield appeared strong, though the scrum was ragged. Rowe says the team has "really looked good" on other occasions, and sees in good chance for the A team to better its 5-2 fall record.

He made no definite predictions, but indicated that the May 13 and May 20 play-offs are not beyond reach.

Besides Rowe and Baker, other club officers are Damis, vice-president, and Downing, treasurer.