THE SPORTING SCENE

SQUASH

The squash varsity's 5-4 loss to Yale in this winter's final match stapped a 22- winning streak and kept a good team from being remembered as an incredible Last fall coach Jack Baraoby made the understatement of the year when he the 1960-81 "one of great challenge." But by February, the Crimson's sopho lades varsity had yet to lose more than two individual matches to any college and was one of the finest.

The 22 consecutive victories would represent as impressive feat for any team. nding back more than two years to the much-publicised "hot-courts-partisantary" loss at Annapolis, the streak was for a few days as long as any in winter ge sports. But Ohio State's basketball team won its 23rd game, and the Crimson to Yale, so Baraoby will have to start from scratch next fall.

nder normal circumstances, the great consolation of a sophomore team is that nation will remove many of the enemy's top players. Yale, however, rolied just much on sophomores this year as did the Crimson. Graduation will take Harvard's bar one and number three men, and Yale's number four; but the aucious of both as will remain unchanged. The key to next winter's Harvard, Yale match will who has departed from the varsity, but who has arrived from the freshmen. Harvard's freshmen were excellent this year. The top five went through the undefeated, trouncing Yale with a 9-0 win that coach Corey Wynn described his "beat ever." The freshmen's top two--Lou Williams and Vic Niederhoffer--lost only one match apiece all year, both when the Yardlings whipped Choate, 7 to 2.

Williams, Niederhoffer, and the other top freshmen--John Vinton, John Thorndika, John Francis, and Nick Thold--all have good chances of figuring somewhere in the varsity picture next year.

Williams, in fact, will almost certainly be in the top three and could conceivably be the Crimson's number one man. Hampy Howell, however--currently ranked second on the varsity--beat him 3-1 in the University tournament.