THE SPORTING SCENE

FRESHMAN HOCKEY

A freshman team with a 15-2-1 record rarely unable to place a few men on varsity the following season, but this just what may happen in hockey next winter.

The yardling hockey team, under coach at Harris completed an outstanding with 11-1 shellacking of Yale, this year's varsity team was young, only five places are available. Some probably be by present J.V.'s college returnees.

The Yardling squad had good balance depth throughout. There was hardly difference between the first and lines, and the defense was similarly interchangeable.

Since the team had no individual stars, will be battling for positions on varsity next year, and Coach Cooney will have a wide field to choose .

La Marche High Soorer

A freshman who does have a good to make next year's varsity is line center, Bill LaMarohe. LaMaroche, season high-scorer (26 goals), with captain Barry "Garbaged" Tread well and hard-checking Bill Fryer to form a first line that 30 goals and 29 assists during season. Right behind them were Mike "Ike" Ikauniks, and Frans Jevne the second line, accounting for 24 goals 27 assists. All have potential.

The varsity has been a bit uneasy about defense, and Mike Patterson, yardling defenseman, may be able to the situation. Patterson accumulated during the season, while managing to stave off many an attack, Miller Ayre, while rather on offense, may be able to provide a strong defensive stick if Weiland needs him.

Freshman football captain Charley Kessler is available for duty on defense also, and ably employs his gridiron skills on the ice. Art Norton rounds out a quartet of defensemen that allowed only 44 goals this season. Again, there was depth and consistency, adroitness and ability.

In the goal most of the time was Brandon Sweitzer, who made 237 saves against 30 goals for a percentage of .888. The varsity, however, has many experienced goalies, and Switzer may be overlooked next year. But Weiland will need him in the future.

Team Nears Ideal

The freshman team must be evaluated as a team. The squad was unselfish, with every player cooperating towards the team effort. It was not a colorful group because the parts fitted together so smoothly. In the final analysis, the freshman aggregation was a team, the players functioning and working together, sensitive to even the thoughts of their teammates. They almost reached the pinnacle of the idea of intercollegiate athletics.

Crimson hockey suffers from a disease that afflicts few other sports at the College--an overabundance of good, consistent athletes. The Freshman team contributes even more to the reservoir.