Hockey Varsity Overcomes 2-0 Deficit To Edge Out B.U. in Overtime, 3-2

In seven frantic minutes last night, Harvard ralled from a 2-0 deficit to slap an incredible 3-2 win on an aroused Boston University hockey team.

A B.U. score at 17:30 of the third period gave the Terriers a seemingly insurmountable two-goal lead. But a pair of goals by the Crimson's Ted Ingalls, the second made with only 54 seconds left to play, put the game into overtime, and five minutes later Jim Dwinell scored after a pass from Dave Morse on a two-on-one play.

Harvard was a man short at the time. Just over a minute before the final goal, defenseman Harry Howell broke up a serious B.U. threat by trapping the puck beside the Crimson nets, but drew a two minute penalty for illegal handling.

A 35-save performance by B.U.'s Barry Urbanski was the key to the Terrier's impressive showing. Urbanski blocked several near-perfect shots, and forced the Crimson to score all three goals from just in front of the cage. Nevertheless, Harvard's Bobby Bland made the save of the evening, stopping a solo by B.U. wing Dick Fogerty at 6:55 of the third period. Fogerty picked up a loose puck in the center zone after a teammate had blocked a shot made by a Crimson defenseman, raced into the Harvard zone, and fired a medium high, hard shot from about tweive feet out. Bland deflected it over the cage.

B.U. opened the scoring early in the first period, when Bill Quinn picked up the puck in the center zone and faked his way around the Crimson defense for an unassisted goal on a backhand shot from about ten feet out and ten feet to Bland's left.

After Quinn's goal, however, neither team was able to score until the closing minutes of the third period.

The Terriers made their second goal after the Crimson defense had apparently broken up a three-on-two break. The puck slid off toward the boards on Bland's left, but B.U. managed to center it. Bland came out of the cage to try and trap the puck while it was some six feet out in front, but Bob Smith got his stick on it first and poked the puck past Bland into the cage.

Forty-one seconds later, Tom Heintz-man took a face-off in the B.U. zone and passed to Ingalls, who scored his first goal at 18:11. After another 55 seconds, Bob Anderson made a shot from right defense. The rebound bounced in front of the cage, where Ingalls got control of the puck and shot it past Urbanski. Dean Alpine also had an assist on the play.

The game was fairly even in the over-time period, until Dwinell's final goal. The Crimson outshoot the Terriers, 7 to 5, but only clutch plays by Bland and defenseman Dave Johnson prevented B.U. from turning loose pucks in front of the Crimson cage into possible scoring shots.

The victory advances the Crimson into the final round of the Beanpot Tournament, where the varsity will meet Boston College. B.C. deefated Northeastern 14 to 1 in yesterday's other first round game. The play-off will be Monday night at the Boston Garden. Harvard's next game is tomorrow at Brown.