THE SPORTING SCENE

WINTER SPORTS

For Crimson winter sports fans the agonizing seventh inning stretch of exam period frustrations and post exam period hangovers is at an end. The teams are back in action, and for those who might have lost all perspective in the blue book barrage, here's the winter sports situation as it presently stands:

In hockey, the Crimson sextet resumed play by winning its eighth straight game Saturday with a close 2-1 victory over Cornell. The win gave the Crimson an overall record of 11-3-1, and kept Cooney Weiland's now "defense-famous" team racked second in the East behind R.P.I. (Crimson opponents have scored only 1.4 points per game in the last eight contests). With a 3-0 Ivy record, the Crimson is favored to win the Ivy title.

Tonight at 7 p.m. Harvard takes on B.U.--the team it defeated 6 to 4 in the last game before exam period--in the Boston Garden in the first round of the Beanpot tournament. Harvard will be defending the title in the tourney, held annually between the Crimson, B.U., B.C., and Northeastern. B.U. will be no pushover, as it proved last week when it overpowered Dartmouth, the defending Ivy champion, 15 to 3.

In basketball, the Crimson came back from the library nicely with a 64-62 win over Amherst last Thursday, but then traveled to Yale Saturday and lost, 31 to 57. Although Harvard has an overall record of 8 and 7, in Ivy competition it rests in the cellar with a 1-4 record. The quintet travels to Columbia and Cornell this weekend.

In swimming, the undefeated Crimson team 94 and 0) was scheduled to meet Cornell Saturday in its first post-exam activity. The Big Red never showed, however, another crippled victim of the snow storm. All eyes turned quickly away from Cambridge to Annapolis, however, where Navy dumped Yale to give the Bulldogs their first loss in 16 years after 201 consecutive dual meet victories. Yesterday, Crimson swimming coach Bill Brooks called an emergency practice session in the I.A.B. in the afternoon...it takes little imagination to guess why: next Saturday Harvard meets the Midshipmen in Cambridge.

In wresting, Harvard is not having an easy time of it. Saturday the Crimson lost to Columbia, 21 to 12, to give it an overall record of 2 and 4, and an Ivy record of 0 and 1. The next meet is Wednesday against Springfield in Cambridge.

In fencing, the Crimson started out with three straight victories, but then dropped two Ivy encounters with Cornell and Columbia before exams. Scheduled to meet Holy Cross Saturday, coach Edo Marion's team took an extended vacation--snow again. The fencers will resume action Wednesday against Connecticut in the I.A.B.

The squash team legitimately resumes action tomorrow in a home contest with Amherst, and guards an undefeated record of 4 and 0 with victories over M.I.T., Army, Cornell, and Dartmouth.

The track team registered more than impressive victories over M.I.T. (72 to 26) and B.U. (86 to 18) in its first two indoor meets before exams. Next Saturday coach Bill McCurdy's untried team takes on its first tough opponent--Army--in a dual meet in Briggs Cage.