Powerful Clarkson Squad Meets First-Ranked Crimson at Watson

The Harvard team faces Clarkson Tech in its second game of the season tonight at Watson Rink. The Crimson will be seeking revenge for a 6-5 loss last year to the Golden Knights in Potsdam, New York.

Cooney Weiland, coach of top-ranked Harvard, said, "Tonight ought to be a big test to see how we look as a hockey team." He was sorry that Harvard had to play such an important game so early in the season.

Clarkson, rated second in the East, has already played five games, and the Knights' record so far has been an impressive one. They have scored 52 goals and allowed only 3 in compiling a 5-0-0 record. Goalie Wayne Gibbons has three shutouts to his credit, one of which was against a strong Michigan State team.

15 Lettermen Return

Len Ceglarski, in his fourth year as hockey coach at Clarkson, has fifteen returning lettermen and three sophomore forwards, Brian Wilkinson, Corbett Adams, and Roger Purdie. They form a line which has produced an average of three goals a game this year.

Although the Clarkson statistics are impressive, they can also be misleading. Except for Michigan State, the Knights' opponents have not been very powerful.

The wide-open brand of hockey of the Clarkson club could be advantageous to the Crimson. Coach Cooney Weiland's team plays tight defensive hockey. In practice this week they have been checking hard and clearing the puck effectively in an effort to set up their fast-skating forwards. In the Bowdoin game, the Crimson showed an ability to capitalize on opportunities and to convert quick accurate passes into goals.

Crimson Uses Same Lines

Weiland will use the same lines he used in the Bowdoin game. Gerry Jorgenson will alternate at center with Bill Lamarche on the first line. Gene Kinasewich and Tim Taylor will play the wings. Jim Dwinell, Bill Beckett, and Dave Morse will form the second line, with Dean Alpine, Tom Heintzman, and Chris Norris on the third.

Captain Dave Grannis will move back on defense tonight with Harry Howell, Chuck Kessler, Dave Johnston, and Gene Daly.

The game will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets will be available today at the Harvard Athletic Office at 60 Boylston St. If there are any left tonight, they will be sold at the door. Bring coupons, undergrads.