Crimson Wrestlers Open Campaign With Narrow 14-12 Win Over M.I.T.

Yeah, we won. But it was an unimpressive varsity wrestling team that eked out the 14-12 victory over M.I.T. last night in the I.A.B. Even coach Robert Pickett admitted, "We looked very poor."

However, it was an upset win over a highly-rated Tech team. The Crimson seemed to be suffering from a lack of conditioning, and not from a lack of conditioning, and not from a deficiency of talent, as its wrestlers ran into trouble mainly in the later periods.

And there were a few bright spots. Sophomore Fred Pereira, last year's Eastern College freshman wrestling champion gained the only pin of the evening against Howle Graves, co-captain of M.I.T. squad.

Crimson captain George Doub easily defeated Dan Topkis 9 to 0 in the 130 pound class while Peter Keeler downed Armond Gabrielian 5 to 0 for the varsity's third victory.

The other win was given to Bob Fastov, and it was almost a gift. He looked good during the first period, but just seemed to collapse in the last two. The referee had to warm him to keep wrestling and stop stalling.

After a very poor start, Bob Kolodney rallied to turn in one of the best per formances of the evening. Down 1-11 midway through the second period, he fought back, almost gained a pin, and was finally defeated by the slim margin of 10-12.

The freshman team also defeated M.I.T., by a moer decisive 21-15 score. Louis Richter, Larry Christy, and John Hoffman all pinned their opponents while Al Keck and John Mamans gained decisions over their M.I.T. adversaries.