That Post Card

However sympathetic one may feel towards the emerging nations of Africa, it is almost impossible to avoid indignation at the Nigerian students' treatment of Marjorie Michelmore's now-celebrated post card home.

It is understandable that Nigerians should feel sensitive about Western criticism of their economic problems. And one might grant part of Nigerian Foreign Minister Wachuku's contention that Miss Michelmore's hurried jotting of her subjective reactions was not precisely a model of scholarly accuracy. If, indeed, Miss Michelmore had shown such bad manners as to publicize her views during her stay, no one could seriously blame the students at Ibadan for demanding her departure.

What makes the incident so disturbing is the students' almost total disregard of any right to privacy in her communications that Miss Michelmore might have. Her views were expressed in a personal message, addressed to a close friend at home. Yet--and it makes no difference here whether the post card was intercepted in the mails or discovered on the ground somewhere--the organizers of the demonstration apparently felt no qualms about reproducing it by the thousands and using it to Foment a demonstration.

As a technique of agitation, the post card was a howling success, and insofar as the instigators of the demonstration were simply looking for an incident--any incident--on which to base an anti-American demonstration, they could no doubt satisfy themselves with the adage that the ends justify the means. But insofar as the students feel that the outburst was an expression of justified indignation against an unforgivable insult, their own offense against Miss Michelmore's privacy has rather undermined their claim to righteousness. And if the description given by Miss Michelmore is as inaccurate, stereotyped and insulting as the Nigerians claim, one wonders how their diplomats can provide such a compelling picture of economic need when development money is about to be allocated.

While the Michelmore incident has not put the Peace Corps program in serious jeopardy in America or in Nigeria, is has indirectly increased several dangers. Any meaningful understanding between people of different cultures would seem to require that both display within the limitations of tact, a certain openness about their own values; that they be able to accept and understand another way of life without at the same time sacrificing their own cultural identity. There is a possibility that the Michelmore episode will cause Peace Corps members to become overly afraid that they will offend someone by simply being themselves. And any attempt to be otherwise will inevitably ring a false note with the people whose friendship the Peace Corps wants to gain.