Ginsburg Lists Corps Qualifications

"To go into the Peace Corps you have to be an idealist, but we don't want any escapists or romantics," Edward J. Ginsburg, regional field representative of the Peace Corps, told approximately 50 prospective Corps candidates in the Lamont Forum Room yesterday afternoon.

Outlining qualification for the Corps, Ginsburg stressed the importance of the "intangibles" of personality. Specific skills, he said, are given less weight in the selection process than "the kind of person you are."

While introducing Ginsburg, Dean Monro said the University is discussing with the Peace Corps a plan to hold orientation seminars here during the winter. Under the plan, which now is "purely hypothetical," the University would conduct weekly seminars covering the same cultural, educational, and political problems taught during the eight-week orientation program here last summer.

Monro said the evening seminars would "speed up the whole project," allowing participants to complete their training next summer and start work in the fall.

Ginsburg stated that the Peace Corps aimed to provide a particular service requested by a nation. It also gives the American volunteers an understanding of another culture and through a "feed-back affect" spreads this understanding to other Americans.

"People in some other country will learn something about you or a group of Americans," Ginsburg continued, "but you are not going abroad to be a propaganda instrument or a junior agent of the C.I.A."