WEEKLY CALENDAR

CINEMA

CAMBRIDGE

BRATTLE: Last day for Vittorio De Sica's excellent GENERAL BELLA ROVERE, a film based on Roberto Rossellini's story of the conversion of an Italian pimp to patriot. Starts tomorrow: AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON, another war picture, this one Russian, and about as good as they come. Evenings at 5:30, 7:30, 9:30. Weekend matinees at 3:30. TR 6-4226.

UNIVERSITY: NEVER ON SUNDAY, supposedly a shocking and corrupting movie by versatile Greek producer-director Jules Dassin ("Rififi"), is at least funny, and consistently so. It has an interesting outlook, and Melina Mercouri too--who is a major part of the outlook. Starts Wednesday: COME SEPTEMBER, a comedy of questionable value starring Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Sandra Dee and (inevitably) Bobby Darin. The story of attempted seduction on the Riviera, it is inconsistently funny, but it has its moments. UN 4-4580.

BOSTON

BEACON HILL: ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS, winner of 27 major film awards is here, and any film that wins that many awards just can't miss. It's sordid and it's long, but it is also a powerful and significant film. Acting, especially by Alain Delon, is consistently topnotch. See it.

FENWAY: Michelangelo Antioni's longwinded but polished look at a decadent cafe-society party on a remote island, L'AVVENTURA has received awards at the Cannes and London film festivals, and it deserved them. It has been often compared both in content and style to La Dolce Vita, and more than a few consider it the better movie.

CAPRI: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, a movie which examines woman and is dissatisfied with the result, bears some resemblance to Truman Capote's opus of the same name. It stars Audrey Hepburn, (complete with cigarette holder) and Mickey Rooney. Life liked it, but watch out: Blake Edwards filmed this one, and his last job was writing-producing "Peter Gunn." Hmmmm. CO 7-9030.

EXETER: A tight suspense film in the psychological vein is Rene Clement's PLEIN SOLEIL. Telling the story of a daring daylight attempt at the perfect crime, the film features spectacular color shots of the Adriatic and Maria de la Foret, and a good acting job by Alain Delon.

KENMORE: TWO WOMEN, a film version of Alberto Moravia's novel about a mother and daughter who flee to the mountains during the Italian campaign of World War II and return too soon to the city. Sophia Loren acts (well), DeSica directs.