Speaker Accents Role of Neutrals

One of the founders of the United Nations emphasized the "grave responsibility" of Third Force nations to help resolve the cold war and the East-West power struggle in a Twentieth Century Week address last night at Sanders Theatre.

Clark Eichelberger, Executive Director for the American Association of United Nations, defined Third Force nations as those which do not want to take sides in the cold war conflict, but wish to bring the East and the West together. Many of these uncommitted countries, he said, have many problems to overcome before they can actively help resolve the power struggle.

The nations have emerged "in the midst of some very great revolutions," he explained, citing as examples the "scientific revolution of the nuclear weapons," and the "social revolution," which has freed one third of the world's population from colonialism. Seventy per cent of these liberated people have annual incomes of less than $100, he said, and the disparity between them and people in industrialized nations is continually increasing.

It is the U.N.'s job to keep world order during these upheavals, Eichelberger indicated, and it must be representative of all peoples, not just the "free" and "communist" blocs.

The world needs the "Third Force Nations" to maintain peace, Eichelberger concluded, decrying the statement by a former Secretary of State that "they are either for us or against us."