Hockey Team Wins Opener, 3-0 As Bland Thwarts Bowdoin Six

Goalie Bob Bland turned in a fancy last night at Watson Rink to and his Crimson teammates to a victory in the opening game of the 1960-61 hockey season, Finishing fast in the raid, the varsity sestet defeated in team, 3 to 0.

The Crimson scored its first goal with seven seconds left to play in the first period and then added two insurance in the finale. For two periods coach Welland's outfit controlled the puck in its own end but was unable to initiate an offensive play of any length.

With a couple of effective defensive pairs in front of him, Bland turned away only 17 shots all night; but oach of his saves was a big one, and whenever the Bears from Maine threatened, he was in charge. His opponent in the Bowdoin bets, Bob Chaffee, was kept busy during game--turning away 34 Crimson and for the first 46 minutes was equal to the barrage. For a stretch of ten minutes in the last period the varsity pounded him with successive shots, two of which hit home and clinched the contest.

Morse Scores First

Showing early-season lack of finesse, the varsity had trouble clearing the puck in the early stages but played rough hockey. After several near misses by both teams, Dave Morse, co-leader in points last year, knocked in the disc at Bob Anderson, leading the defensive corps, slaped a blast from the right point. The rebound off Chaffee went to the left where Bill Backet gave it a whack. The Bowdoin netminder kicked shot out too, but Morse was in close on the right and slammed the puck into the cage.

A on the visitors' followed. After a slap shot frota a , a wild seramble in front of would develop with the whole Crimson team swinging for a tally, each time smothered the puck. Suddenly the pack was to the Harvard sad, where Bland saved with no trouble. The rebound, however, rolled danger, around in front of the Cage before the Crimson could clear.

Crimson Renews Attack

Apparently seared over this close call, the varsity moved the else back to the Bowdoin end and soon scored. After an exchange from behind the nets, Crocker Snow the puck out front. Jim Dwinell gathered the puck and rolled a 15-footer into the cage.

Except for two frightening threats with a minute to go, Bland had no problems securing his shut-out. A careless Bowdoin shot saved one goal for Bland and a beautiful glove catch held out the other.

The sextet plays at home again Dec. 15--against Northeastern