THE SPORTING SCENE

FRESHMAN LACROSSE

In a recent interview, varsity lacrosse coach Bruce Munro noted that "this year we are building the foundation for the future of Harvard lacrosse. Varsity players are almost unanimous in their belief that the amount of spirit this team has radiated has been more significant than results of individual games.

With the varsity composed primarily of sophomores and juniors, it is evident that the next few seasons should show a marked improvement in Crimson lacrosse. But as important as the performances of high-scoring sophomore attack Dave Bohn, or sophomore defenseman Bron Thayer, has been the enthusiasm and drive of this season's freshman team.

In past seasons, freshman squads have been sparked by a few experienced players from New England Prep Schools--but after six or seven first-line players the team has had little depth. Consequently, the Yardlings usually suffer losing seasons with a few outstanding performances as their chief consolation.

Early this spring, it looked as though this year's freshmen would be no different than their predecessors. Only seven men out for the sport had played lacrosse before--and most of the others had never even seen a game. There was no experienced goalie who could be expected to defend against the well-trained attacks of teams such as Exeter, Andover, or Deerfield.

But three men new to the game--Bill Desloge, Dave Grannis, and Bobby Bland--turned into first rate players, and there are fewer of the usual glaring weaknesses on the starting freshman team.

Bland, first string freshman hockey goalie, has filled the gap at the nets more than adequately. A player with outstanding reflexes, he has almost mastered the tricky hops and scorching line shots (clocked at 130 miles an hour) difficult for even the most experienced goal tender.

Sieglaff Excels

Most of the experienced players have also surpassed pre-season expectations. Co-captain Pete Sieglaff, a second-string midfielder at Deerfield, has developed into one of the finest players Yardling teams have had in many seasons. Grady Watts, the other co-captain, is the team's leading scorer with more than 20 goals in the five games he has played.

Victories over Exeter and Deerfield--prep school teams who generally have little trouble with the Yardlings--provide some testimony to the ability of the freshman lacrosse team. Saturday's 10 to 8 loss to Andover should be one of its few defeats this season.