Track Team Crushes Princeton; Varsity Sets Four Meet Records

Setting four meet records in the process, the varsity track team crushed Princeton, 99 to 41, Saturday in the Stadium. The Crimson took 12 firsts, six of them in the field events, as it registered its second straight victory of the spring.

Princeton's Dick Edmunds and Crimson captain Albie Gordon staged a tremendous battle in the 440 race, with Edmunds winning by inches in the meet record time of 48.2. Edmunds shot to the front at the start and passed the 220 mark in 22 seconds. With 150 yards to go, he had opened up an eight-yard lead on Gordon, but the Crimson captain unleashed a futile stretch drive that cut into Edmund's margin with every stride.

Not only did Dyke Benjamin's attempt for a University mile record fall short, but the Crimson ace was forced to take second to teammate Jed Fitzgerald, who set another meet record with 4:16.2.

Willy Thompson surprised Princeton's Pete Kingston in the two-mile with a come-from-behind triumph, and the Crimson dominated the hurdles, with Joel Landau taking two firsts. Art Cahn led for the last 300 yards and won the 880 in 1:55.6. The mile relay quartet triumphed easily. Princeton showed its strength in the dashes, as John Chang in the 100 and Edmunds in the 220 won handily.

The varsity field event squad turned in a brilliant performance. John Bronstein set a meet mark in winning the discus with a 158 ft., 3 3/4 in. toss, and shot putter Hank Abbot broke another record with his 50 ft., 3 in. heave. Stan Doten came through with an excellent 151 ft., 9 1/4 in. throw to take second in the discus, and Steve Cohen put the shot 48 ft., 6 in., his best ever, to beat out Princeton's Bill Fisher for second place.

John deKiewiet cleared 6 ft., 2 in. for a meet record in the high jump, and broad jumper Bob Downs, hammer thrower Jim Doty, and pole vaulter Tom Blodgett contributed wins in their specialties.

Although Ed Bailey broke his own Freshman hammer record, the Yardlings lost to Princeton, 80 5/6 to 59 1/6.