THE SPORTING SCENE

With the plague of exams come upon us, athletics at Harvard have reached the low point of the year. Probably not many people have noticed, and fewer care. But for those who have not lost themselves completely in the Reign of Terror around us, it should be noted that the athletic renaissance begins this week.

On Saturday the hockey and wrestling teams travel to Hanover for league encounters, and both should be rated favorites to down the Big Green. The varsity hockey team, sufficiently rested after defeats at the hands of Providence College and the Russians, faces one of the few teams in the Ivy League capable of giving it a battle for the championship.

Led by Mike Hollern and Rod Anderson, the Big Green play a fast, aggressive brand of hockey which should put the varsity's skating ability to the test. And defensively, Dartmouth's goalie, Dirk Frankenberg, has allowed very few scores so far this season. But Dartmouth has troubles of its own; after winning its opening two games, the team took a Western tour, suffering four straight defeats at the hands of Minnesota. Since then, however, it has gained victories over Army and Princeton, while losing to Middlebury College.

While the hockey team is heading North into the cold, the varsity basketball team will head South into the cold to play Yale on the Elis' home court. Once again the varsity will find itself with a height disadvantage, as the Yalies' hopes for victory will rest squarely on the shoulders of Giant Gerry Glynn (6' 10"). Glynn, who towers two inches above the Crimson's tallest man, Griff McClellan, has averaged 17 points per game for the season. Another player with a double figure scoring record is Dan McFadden who has averaged 12 points per game for Yale.

While the varsity was dropping its last game to Dartmouth, the Elis lost in their last encounter to Princeton, tied with Dartmouth for the League lead. On paper the varsity has a better record than Yale, but with the Crimson's poor rebounding record for the season, and the waning of its defenses in the Dartmouth game, the game with Yale should be a close one indeed. HOCKEY   W  L Dartmouth  2  0 Yale  2  0 Harvard  1  0 Brown  1  0 Princeton  0  2 Cornell  0  4

BASKETBALL   W  L Princeton  5  0 Dartmouth  4  0 Pennsylvania  3  2 Harvard  2  2 Brown  2  2 Yale  1  3 Cornell  1  4 Columbia  0  5