University May Request Aid Under Federal Act

Two Grants Sought

The University intends to apply to the Federal Government for aid under two seperate aspects of the National Defnse Education Act, it was learned yesterday.

Passed last year, the act authorizes more than $1 billion in Federal grants over a four year period. Its half dozen main programs are designed to indentify, and help establish, each student's abilities; to improve instruction in science, mathematics, and languages; to provide more college teachers, more loans for college students, and to stimulate educational research.

Under the act, the School of Education will ask for aid to support its counselor program, and the Office of Financial Aid expects to request the full quarter of a million dollar limit offered to institutions for the loan and fellowship progams.

"No institution has yet received money fo loans or fellowships," according to Fred L. Glimp '50 new Director of Freshman Scholarships. The Government is still trying to get an idea of how many institutions will apply and how much they will want, he explained.

The Administration has not yet decided how it will apportion the grant, Glimp said. He pointed out that under the act, "every institution which receives a grant has to decide for itself what part of the loan fund each department receives."

Tiedeman Expresses Doubt

David V. Tiedeman, associate professor of Education, yesterday expressed doubt that the Government would favor the two plans which the School of Education intends to propose to Washington. The suggestions for a training institute in conjunction with the Newton High School summer program, and funds allowing the School of Education to open up "about a dozen new opportunities" for first year training of counselors. The counselors will help administer aptitude tests to Junior High School students throughout the nation.

"The suggestions which receive support will be fairly specific--like a program of aptitude tests--rather than the training program," Tiedeman remarked. "The tenor of the program is to emphasize the direction of bright students.