LINING THEM UP

Best Team in Years

Coach Al Wilson's eyes lit up as he termed his present freshman track team the best he has had in his four years of coaching. "And don't forget," he added, "that includes two undefeated teams."

Indicative of the power of the Yardlings is the way in which they manhandled each of their opponents during the past undefeated indoor season. For instance, while the varsity was nudging past a persistent Dartmouth team by 1/3 of a point, the Yardlings were overwhelming the Indian freshmen, 80 2/3 to 28 1/3. Outdoors, they trimmed Dartmouth, 95 to 45, in the season opener.

This year's team is better balanced than in previous years, for it has the place points to back up sure firsts. There are few events where there is inadequate depth, while several are exceptionally strong. These include the dashes, the distances, the broad jump, the discus, and the pole vault.

Leading the team is Captain Al Gordon, who leads in the 440. Wilson terms him a powerful determined runner, who is as strong as an ox. In the last meet, he did the quarter in 50 seconds flat, but injured his ankle in the process. It has just begun to mend. Backing him up is another fine runner, Walt Belenky.

Another star of the team is Joel Landau in the dashes. Landau, former New York State dash champion, has run the hundred in under 10 seconds. Along with Sandy Dodge, these two make the dashes sure point-producers.

Bill Gillen and Bill Thompson both run 4:30 miles, while Jim Schlaeppi leads the two-mile field, which is composed of many of the runners from the undefeated Yardling cross country team. Mack Brown also usually places.

Dave Spinney is the standout in the half-mile, one of the weaker track events, with regard to depth. The other weak event is low hurdles where Dave Rosenthal is the only active entrant. In the high hurdles, he is joined by Landau, for the third time in four years.

In the field events, Carl Pescosolido dominates both the javelin and the discus. In the former, he has been consistently threatening Chris Angermeyer's record of 184 plus feet. In the discus, both Chris Provenson and John de Kiewiet give depth to the event.

Rosenthal, Dave Gately, and Provenson make the broad jump about the strongest event on the team. Each has cleared 21 feet.

Jim Doty, the same runner who participated in the Boston Marathon, is the leading weight man on the team, but according to Wilson, his legs are still shaking from the marathon.

All this talent plus a top-notch relay team give Wilson good reason to predict that his team will go undefeated, making this a strong event.