Freshman Sports

The freshman baseball team defeated M.I.T., 3 to 0, behind the shutout pitching of Harvey Friedman yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Tight infield play accounted for four double plays, helping Friedman to keep any M.I.T. men from reaching third base. Acting-Captain Leon Kasarjian, the short-stop, knocked in two runs with a double with men on first and third and started two twin killings. The first run of the game came after two successive M.I.T. errors.

The Yardlings meet a fair Northeastern team today in Brookline. Byron Johnson will open on the mound, with Larry McCully behind the plate. The in-field remains the same as in yesterday's game, with Tom Hoff at first, George Harrington at second, Maurico Balboni at third and Kasarjian at short.

* * * *

The freshman lacrosse team managed to stave off an M.I.T. rally to win a 7-6 contest despite some sloppy playing in the season opener.

The team got off to a quick start as Mike Edwards scored with only 28 seconds gone in the first period but the score read 2 to 2 at the end of that period as the Engineers rallied. The Crimson pulled ahead by adding one more goal before the half. In the third and fourth periods, the Yardlings scored four goals to wrap up the game although the four-goal performance of M.I.T.'s Frank Wise-buck closed the gap by the final period.

The next game will be played tomorrow against Deerfield on the B-School Field.

* * * *

Yardling tennis player Jim Cameron defeated Charlie Hamm in a challenge match Saturday and will lead the team against the M.I.T. freshmen at Tech this afternoon and against the Brown freshmen on the Soldiers' Field courts at 3:45 p.m. tomorrow.

The M.I.T. and Brown teams, predicted Coach Corey Wynn, will put up little competition against the Crimson. The '59 squad shut out Milton, 9-0, in its opening match last week.