THE SPORTING SCENE

Intercollegiate Champions

Considering the lone great player on the team, the varsity squash team's undefeated season is a tribute to Coach Jack Barnaby's ability to create a winning squad out of potential talent.

Barnaby's fourth Intercollegiate Championship and second undefeated season in three years was never a sure thing. The team had to be up for Army, Navy, Williams, Princeton, and Yale. Against the Elis, Lee Folger had to win the final three games in his match after being down two in order to save the match.

As the Crimson coach said yesterday, "This team was not great. But I never had a squad that gave more through the entire season. If we had had three Ben Heckscher's it would have been easy, We had only one."

Heckscher No Surprise

From the beginning of the season Heckscher was picked to win them all. So it was no surprise when he remained undefeated and finished the season with the best record in Intercollegiate competition.

But second place Cal Place had lost several times at five last season and eighth man Larry Sears played two most of the time on the freshman squad in '55. Few could have predicted their perfect records. Charlie MacVeagh, noted for little more than his fight last year, was another example of developed potential. At three, he became a habitual winner and was the most effective Crimson player against Yale, taking his match, 3 to 0.

Folger Crucial at Yale

Lee Folger, playing number five, did not even compete in intercollegiate squash last year. Yet it was his eight out of nine point rally in the fifth game that turned back the Blue on Saturday.

Captain Pete Milton, who ended the year at four, faltered slightly in the last matches, while Martin Heckscher and Roger Cortesi played hot and cold at six and seven. All three, however, won a large majority of their contests. At nine Lanny Thomas was almost as effective as Larry Sears; both dominated the lower positions against all competition.