Yale Defeats Varsity Quintet , 79-75

Crimson Drops to Cellar

NEW HAVEN, Feb. 26--Captain Dave Hobson broke on Ivy League foul shooting record tonight and tied another as he led Yale to a 79-75 victory over a scrappy Harvard quintet. The loss dropped the Crimson to last place in the League.

As might be expected of the two lowliest teams in the league, the game was rather poorly played for most of the contest. But with five minutes left in the game, and the Elis ahead, 73 to 63, the Crimson made a valiant attempt to tie the score which brought the large crowd to its feet.

The six-foot Hobson, son of the Blue's veteran coach, Howard, A Hobson, took 24 shots from the line, breaking the former mark of 23 held by Columbia's Jack Molinas and Yale's Ed Robinson. His 17 points from the line tied the record held by three other players.

With his team holding the seemingly safe lead, coach Hobson ordered it to freeze the ball. Crimson coach Floyd Wilson countered by having his quintet go into a full court press. It was during this period that Hobson sank most of his fouls.

Slowly, matching Yale fouls with its own field goals, the Crimson closed the margin to as little as three points with two minutes to play. Hobson's pair of fouls raised the margin to five points, but a basket by Ike Canty again brought it to three points, 78 to 75. The Crimson stole the ball, but missed four straight shots before Yale sank another foul.

The game was very close in the first 80 minutes, with the score being tied 11 times, but four consecutive baskets by Robinson gave the Elis the 73-63 lead. Robinson led all scorers with 20 points and Hobson had 19. The Blue led at the half, 36-35.

In other Ivy action, Columbia upset Penn in overtime, 90 to 82, and Princeton defeated Cornell, 65 to 62. This means it is possible for Penn, Princeton and Columbia to end up in a three-way tie for first place in the League. The Quakers have a 10-3 record; the Tigers, 8-3; and the Lions, 8-4.

The loss was the Crimson's tenth in the League against two wins while Yale has a 3-10 record. Overall, the Crimson's season total is 5-16, as against Yale's 3-19. The Harvard box score: Harvard  G  F  TP Manning, f  5  3  13 Hurley, f  3  4  10 Hastings, f  5  2  12 Muncaster, f  0  0  0 Canty, c  5  8  18 Haughey, c  2  1  5 Barnett, g  3  3  9 Bulger, b  4  0  8