Crimson Track Team Places 13 th Out of 44 in IC4A Championships

Carl Goldman's tremendous 56 foot, i/4 inch heave in the 35 lb. weight throw accounted for half the total points of the varsity track team as it finished 13th in a field of 44 at the IC4A championships at Madison Square Garden in New York Saturday night.

Goldman qualified for the finals in the weight on his last trial toss. He then took a third with a 56 footer, his best throw of the season, barely missing Olympic star Sam Felton's University record.

The two mile relay team of Mike Robettson, Otis Gates, Jim Cairns, and Al Wills also topped its past marks as it raced to a new University record in 7:58. But the strength of the IC4A field was again more than the varsity than the varsity could match and the relay team finished fifth.

Capt. Bob Rittenburg edged teammate Joel Cohen in a special elimination race for fifth in the hurdles. The Garden track only has room for four men, forcing Cohen and Rittenberg to race each other for the only other point the Crimson scored in individual competition. Coach Bill McCurdy saved his middle distance aces, Dick Wharton, Renny Little, and Alan Howe for the mile relay. But anchor man Dave Alpers had to sit out the meet with a back injury and the new team, with sophomore Zab Warren replacing Alpers, was nearly six seconds off its usual pace finishing fifth in 3:25.