The Draft: Benefits--for the Future

Administration Proposals May Shorten Time in Service For Younger Students, But Meanwhile Undergraduates Face Increased Draft Calls and Much Stiffer Regulations Concerning Participation in Reserves After Active Duty

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Congressional sources differed this week about the chances of the Administration's new military manpower proposals, but there was general agreement here that while the program would in some ways benefit future students, it may make things a little tougher for those now in college.

The chief effect of the Administration's proposals on present college students would be much stricter requirements of participation in the reserves after active service. These requirements, however, are a controversial aspect of the new program and may be modified by Congress.

In addition, it is becoming clear that draft calls will be going up again in the near future. By August, Selective Service expects to be calling at least 23,000 men a month, as compared to the present 11,000 monthly calls, and some believe that calls may even go as high as 50,000 next fall. It is not now believed that Formosa will affect the draft totals.

The new manpower program as spelled out in a series of recent announcements from the White House and the Pentagon is this:

1) A cut in the size of the armed forces from the present 3,200,000 to 3,000,000 by June 30, 1955 and to 2,850,000 by June 30, 1956. The slice would come most heavily in the Army, with a drop of 74,000 men this year, while the Air Force will increase by about 14,000.

2) A sweeping new National Reserve Plan which calls for a greatly strengthened reserve system. The most discussed feature of this plan is the special six-month training program.

3) Extension of the present draft system, administered by General Lewis B. Hershey, for another four years.

Most controversial of the three, of course, is the new Reserve Plan. But this plan follows as a corollary of the Administration's overall defense strategy as exemplified by the cut in the armed forces and the 1956 budget which provides almost half of the 34 million dollar defense budget for the Air Force.

The strategy implemented by the new proposals is one which puts increasing emphasis on the nuclear power of the Air Force as the principal deterren of aggression. With such a reliance on the threat of "massive retailiation," there is clearly less need for a large standing army. The Defense Department has been saying for some time that it would like to build up a large reserve and thus be able to cut the size of the standing army.

There are some here who feel the Administration has made a mistake in the presentation of its new manpower proposals. They point out that the new Reserve Plan might have had a much better chance if the Administration had said to Congress, "Look, we'll be able to cut the size of the standing army forces, if you provide for a stronger reserve system." Instead, the cut in the armed forces was announced first and then the Administration presented its Reserve Plan.

Draft Calls Should Rise

The general opinion, however, is that some kind of new draft and reserve law will come out of Congress this session, but there is little agreement on just how much of the Administration's program Congress will accept.

Virtually certain is Congress' approval of an extension of the Selective Service Act of 1951 which provides for the regular draft.

The expectation of higher calls under the draft stems from the fact that the present 11,000 calls are aimed at cutting down the size of the armed forces. When those forces reach the required level, they will have to be maintained, which will require larger calls. In addition, it is expected that for a number of different reasons the enlistment rate is going to drop off in the next few months. Among these are 1) the expectation of continuing lower draft calls, 2) anticipation of the new reserve programs, and 3) recent termination of educational benefits under the G.I. bill of rights.