Hawkins Sets Two Records; Crimson Takes 4th in Meet

It's becoming a habit with Hawkins. Having swum through the best collegiate competition in the East last week in the 100 and 200-yard breast stroke, he took on the nation in the NCAA meet at Syracuse on Friday and Saturday and won two firsts again. But he set only one record in the Easterns. At Syracuse he set two.

These butterflying efforts put the Crimson in a tie with Stanford for fourth place going into the last event, the 300-yard medley relay. Here, Jim Jorgensen, Hawkins, and Don Mulvey set another Harvard record, finishing third in the race, to give the Crimson an undisputed fourth in team standings.

Though the medley relay team boat Yale for the first time this season, as well as Stanford, the varsity couldn't edge the Elis out of third place when it came to total points. Yale didn't win a single event, but it captured enough scoring positions, especially in diving, to place above the varsity.

The top seven scoring teams were Ohio State, 94; University of Michigan, 67; Yale, 36; Harvard, 23; Stanford, 19; Dartmouth, 14; and Springfield, 11.

Hawkins Sets Two Records

Hawkins had set a Crimson record with a 2:15.4 time in the 200-yard breast stroke on Friday night. On Saturday he came back in the 100 for a clocking of 59.4 seconds and another varsity mark. The old one was 0:59.6, set at the National AAU meet last year by--you guessed it--Hawkins.

If the competition pushes him hard enough, he may better this records in the Amateur Athletic Union meet next weekend. He trailed behind Michigan's John Dudeck until halfway through the last lap of the 100, edging him out at the end of the race.

Then, after a five-event rest, he showed that he really hadn't been pushed at all. He swam the same distance over again in 0:59.6 as the middle man on the medley relay team. The varsity and Stanford each had 14 points going into this final race. The winner would get fourth place, the loser, fifth.

Team Takes Third in Medley

Mulvey couldn't keep up with Stanford's back stroke ace, Heim, and his time of 1:01.6 left the varsity five yards behind. Hawkins made up the difference in the breast stroke leg.

The free style lap was very close, but in the last ten yards Jorgensen pulled ahead of Yale and Stanford for a third in the event, fourth place in the meet, and a new Crimson record of 2:53.1. Jorgensen's time was 0:51.9.

This was the first time that the Crimson medley relay team beat Yale's Sandy Gideonse, Denny O'Connor, and Kerry Donovan this season, having lost in both the dual meet and the Easterns. The same Crimson triumvirate swam all three times.