Egg in Your Beer

Blue Little

"Us? Favorites?"

Columbia's big football coach, Lou Little, shook his head and frowned. "Gracious me, we're not the team we used to be."

Little was seated in his office in John Jay Hall, overlooking the Van Am Quadrangle at Columbia University. Someone had hinted to him that his boys in Baby Blue might rate as seven-point favorites, or better, in Saturday's contest.

Infamous among sportswriters for his pessimistic outlook, the lugubrious Lion coach said. "It's going to be close, very close. We'll be lucky to beat Harvard."

Crimson backs Dick Clasby and John Culver won special praise. "That's a powerful ground attack you've got there. What was it--400, 500 yards you picked up against Springfield? Gracious me, that's a terrific amount of yardage." Little thinks the Crimson could have scored at least two more touchdowns against the Gymnasts. Anyhow, that's what his scouts seemed to think.

Little put down the towel, though, when he began talking about the surprising Columbia Princeton game. "To be honest--I was disappointed," he confessed. "Of course, Princeton isn't the team it was last year. But neither are we. As it was played, though, that game should have been a tie, at the worst."

The lachrymose Little's trademark, the towel, was in his hands once more when he continued. "Whether we'll ever do that again this fall, I don't know. But it won't be easy."

Little noted that the 60-minute chores performed by three men tackles John Casella and Ernie Gregorowicz, and fullback Bob McCullough--were pretty unusual. "It's tough for a boy to go both ways for a full game. It'll be hard for them to do it again." In addition to the trio of 60-minute "Iron-men," the Lion coach had two players in action for more than 50 minutes: center Dave Bueschen was in for 55 minutes, and end Al Ward for 56.

Reminded that New York times sports writer Arthur Daley had picked Columbia for seventh in the Ivy League, Little chuckled for a moment, paused, then assumed a frown. "There are only eight teams in the League, you know Gracious me, we're not the team. . ."

When Little was told that certain Cambridge bookmakers were giving Harvard 13 1/2 points or more at even money, he asked incredulously, "Are they crazy?"

It took only an instant's reflection for him to decide. "They should have their heads examined."