From the Pit

A Tragedy in Four Acts

At one point last spring there was a rumor around the Square that the Harvard Dramatic Club and the Harvard Theatre Group were going to unite forces for the production of a play called "Billy Budd." The announcement was greeted with huzzahs by local theatre-goers. At last it appeared possible to encourage dramatics at Harvard, see several good plays, and not have to go to the theatre four times in a period of two weeks.

For some unexplained reason, this production was cancelled; the groups decided to go their separate ways. And so this week we find ourselves with two openings, the HDC's "The Dog Beneath the Skin" and the HTG's "An Enemy of the People" on Wednesday and Friday respectively. Next week ushers in the annual Hasty Pudding show, "Seeing Red" (Thursday) and the Annex Idler's "The Doll's House" (Friday).

These weeks have been chosen after a good deal of thought by the individual organizations concerned. With football out of the way, they feel that student funds may be lured to the box office easier than they would have been at any other time this fall. It is not the purpose of this piece to quarrel with that reasoning. Furthermore, it is entirely possible that all four productions will be very good.

But the fact remains that there are four openings within ten days, and very few people are going to be able to see all four. Regardless of whether or not the cause of the drama would be pursued more effectively if all the available talent were united under one leadership, it seems ridiculous to continue under the present system. If one organization is successful, it is probable that all of the others will lose money.

One obvious solution is a Dramatic Council much like the Interhouse Dance Committee which plans and coordinates the fall football dances. This group could decide, on the basis of total revenues taken in, how many plays could run successfully at the same time and also plan productions so that good theatre will be available to students at all times. After all, "Halitosis is better than no breath at all."