The Crime

Don't Sound Convincing

We accept with reservations the assertion of the Harvard CRIMSON that three moonshine stills are operating within university dormitories. Harvard students may be bright, versatile youths but we can't believe they're quite that good.

Our suspicion is that the CRIMSON, in an understandable attempt to whip up headlines, got wind of some lab apparatus hooked together by a science freshman for elementary experiments. If that can pass muster as a still in and around Harvard we suppose it's all right. But we'd like to see the CRIMSON editor bring his find down here to the real pot-still and moonshine country. Amateur distillers here-abouts are polite, but they'd probably have a hard time staying so when they inspected the dainty jars and chromium pipes that constitute a collegian's still.

The CRIMSON should tell its would-be distillers to put away their apparatus and concentrate on their studies. The art of moonshining deserves mature and serious consideration and is distinctly a postgraduate effort for which Harvard provides neither the equipment nor the climate. --From the Louisville Courier-Journal, November 18, 1951

Waal sir, an reckin that in yore part of the country, ef'n ya hain't got the gumption to check on whuther a story is true or not, ya jest run an eddytorial saying ya don't believe it. Ah don't know how yer moonshine indestry compares with ourn up here, but ah'd bet we'uns could teach ya a thing or two about jurnyalism-Eddy.