THE MOVIEGOER

At the RKO Wall

After 15 years in prison, Larry Nelson is released into a world of soft lips, hard guys, and easy money. He is an innocent strong boy, and is forced into struggles with six or eight gangsters and a couple of attractive but not very reliable women. In the process, he gets himself called the "most perfect physical specimen," rescues a dying tubercular gangster from a flaming house, knocks out several elegant thugs, and learns that "there's nothing in the world like a dame."

"Outside the Wall" is better than most gangster pictures. Unfortunately it concerns itself with only a million dollar armored ear robbery, and will probably prove unsatisfying to readers of Boston newspapers. But good acting and directing, and a half-hearted attempt to face the problem of what happens to a man when he is released from jail, improve it somewhat over the run-of-the-mail underworld picture.

As an ex-con who doesn't remember the outside world, Richard Baschart looks reasonably bewildered. He is, however, not as gorgeous as all the female characters in the movie thought. Marilyn Maxwell and Dorothy Hart, the two nurses at the hospital where the here finds work, inject the usual amount of spice into commonplace roles. Each manages to appear frightened when a man's hand is at her throat, and each manages to hold a kiss until the director calls for a blackout. John Hoyt, the master crook who happens to be carried into the hospital just as the hero begins his job there, acts both sick and wicked. Signe Hasso, his ex-wife, leaven no doubt that she prefers his money to his life.

There is nothing great about "Outside the Wall" But if you haven't been taking too many anti-histamine pills lately, it may keep you awake.