NYC Seethes with Entertainment for Holidays

At least 3,000 Harvard men will flock is New York today and tomorrow for visits lasting up to two weeks. For their convenience, and to tempt others, the CRIMSON lists below some of the attractions which help make New York the hedonists' paradise it is. As James James Thurber notes: "Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy and dead." This moral applies to Gotham better than to any other place is the world.

Theatre

The square mile in Manhattan referred to as the Theatre District has been quite active during the fall. Eighteen new offerings have achieved a sort of permanency on the marquees and along with nine holdovers they combine to offer the theatregoer a wide and fairly rewarding selection.

Only three new musicals have managed to make their Broadway goals. A fourth, Out of this World, opens Thursday, after an extended stay in Boston. Bless You All, another probable hit, opens the same day.

Heading the list of new musicals is a thing assembled by many hands and parading under the title of Guys and Dolls. It is derived, partially, from a Damon Runyon story, and has to do with a floating crap game. It's funny, fast paced, and tuneful, but tickets are very scarce.

Call Me Madam,Irving Belin's latest opus, featuring Ethel Merman as a lady ambassador, is said to be based on the career of one Perie Mesta, now ambassador to Luxembourg. The music is Berlin, this time distinctly a cut above Miss Liberty, his last try. The book is by Lindsay and Crouse and direction by George Abbot, an exceptionally talented trio.

Pardon Our, French is an Olson and Johnson production with an active east including six midgets. While not quite at the top of the list for drama lovers, there is a certain attraction in this which should be kept in mind when entertaining people from distant points.

Mike Todd's Peep Show is another of this ilk. The finale is indicative of the whole show 50 girls 50 in a bubble bath.

The old favorites, South Pacific, Gentlemen Prefer Bionds and Kiss Me Kate are still around, now at almost popular prices. Bless You All with Jules Munshin, Pearl Bailey, Mary McCarty and Valerie Bettis is sure to be a hit with many of the Call Me Mister group included among its credits. Tickets may still be available at box office for some part of the vacation.

The straight play offers a varied and interesting list, although, with possible exception list, although, with possible exception of the Odets play, it lacks a good solid tragedy. There is no hit such as Streetecar, Death of a Salesman, Cocktall Party, or Madwoman of Chalilot. Among the new plays, Christopher Fry's poetic drama The Lady's Not for Burning is probably the most successful. John Glolgnd and Pamela Brown carry the greater part of the notion and do so admirably.

Clifford Odets' latest play, The Country Girl, is reminiscent of his earlier works in that the old power and brilliance of action and dialogue has returned. Paul Kelly and Uta Hagen handle this play aboue a forgotten actor's return to stardom. Unlike the earliest Odets' stuff, however, this work has none of the social commentary the author is noted for; it gets along well without it.

Season in the Sun, a play by the "New Yorker's" witty drama critic, Wolcott Gibbs, is the outstanding farce of the season. It concerns life on Fire Island and is acted by a fine crow of competent performers.

Samson Raphaelson's Hilda Crane brings the star of Streetcar back to Broadway for a fine portrayal of a girl who loved a college professor but married a lawnmower manufacturer. Raphaelson and Miss Tandy, the critics claim, are excellent.

Brooks Atkinson is quite frank about Judith Anderson's performance in The Tower Beyond Tragedy "Call it a masterpiece," he says. Other reviewers have voiced similar sentiments.

George Bernard Shaw, last season's favorite, is represented by two of his less frequently acted plays, Arms and the Man and Captain Brassbound's Conversion. The former is done with central staging, for those who like that sort of thing, and the latter opens as part of the City Center repertory bill next Wednesday.