First Shower-Bather Gets No Soap

Procter & Gamble yesterday offered the CRIMSON "all the free soap it wants" for its Share-the-Shower campaign to aid tubless college girls in New York.

The national soap manufacturers promised that its Quincy warehouse would give the stuff away by the carton to every Harvard student who splits his shower bath with a dry New York coed.

And less than two hours after the offer was made the girls started coming.

"300 Will Come"

The head resident of Barnard College in New York wired the editors, "Will charge to your account 300 Pullman reservations for the Merchants Limited. . . . Have towel, soap, and water ready. Appreciating your sincere thoughts we remain 300 strong."

Miss Marcia Shohet, a sophomore at Sarah Lawrence, arrived in Cambridge yesterday afternoon as the attest of three Law School students. The first girl to appear in response to the plan, she complained about the parched-pipe situation in the city and admitted "I haven't washed my hair since Thursday."

No Admittance

Anxious to take advantage of the Procter & Gamble offer, CRIMSON editors chauffered Miss Shohet to the Quincy warehouse, but arrived after the plant had closed. Their efforts to obtain entrance brought a Quincy patrol car, but no charges were filed.

Procter & Gamble officials later assured the CRIMSON that their promise was still good and that gratis soapboxes were waiting for legitimate claimants.

As the situation in New York became worse and worse, one other Ivy League college joined with the CRIMSON'S crusade. James M. Armstrong, editor-in-chief of the Daily Pennsylvania, wired, "We are inviting student response by reprinting your telegram in the Letters to the Editors column."

Meanwhile, the CRIMSON acted to check its legal grounds when it appeared that the migration from New York might be considered a violation of the Mann Act. The Editors wired Attorney General J. Howard McGrath.

McGrath's answer had not been received by press time.