Sports of the Crimson

Little Men Only

"I'm for more teams rather than fewer teams--I always have been--but right now 150-pound football is out." Spreading the H.A.A.'s cards across the top of his desk in the Union, William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, yesterday gave the official answers to questions that since last September have been filtering into the CRIMSON office.

"We had 150-pound teams back around '31 and '32," he explained, "but we discontinued them--mainly because we had no competition."

Heavy travelling expenses, he pointed out, shackled the lightweight gridders to local goal posts, and unfortunately, nearby schools like B. C. and Tufts could not support additional squads. Competition with prep school varsities was abandoned after a trial, according to Bingham, simply because "A lot of those boys are bigger and heavier than our 150-pounders."

The same blocks still lie across the road. For their games, one-fifties would have to journey regularly to Columbia, Cornell, and Annapolis, present members of the lightweight loop. An already Iron-bound H. A. A. budget, from which thousands are yearly allotted to team transportation, would not permit the added burden.

In addition, House football, which to a large extent has solved the lighter man's grid problem, stands in the way of a revival. Rivalries have become so deeply entrenched, Bingham pointed out, that Housemasters might object strongly to the reorganization of a sport that would drain off their best talent.

Even in view of the H. A. A.'s difficulties, the fact remains that House football at its best is a poor substitute for intercollegiate competition. A poll of the undergraduate body might reveal a desire for a 150-pound team that the H.A.A. could not Ignore, in spite of all obstacles