The Moviegoer

At the Metropolitan

Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour by this time have either established themselves as one of Hollywood's top comedy teams, either with or without the extra added attraction of a horse-fancier known as Harry Lillis Crosby. The last name doesn't appear on the roll of the "My Favorite Brunette" east, but the other two-thirds of the trio manage to hold up their end to good enough advantage. From the title you might well assume before the film even begins that it's going to be something on the same order as an opus called "My Favorite Blonde" that Mr. Hope did with Madeleine Carroll quite a few years ago. And you wouldn't be far from wrong.

Hope finds himself cavorting in another stock role, that of a baby-photographer playing at private detective, and he soon is immersed in the usual welter of ominous looking crooks, one of whom inevitably turns out to be Peter Lorre. Tossing gags to the winds, Hope spends the greater part of the picture chasing Dorothy Lamour, who plays a foreign baroness of some kind, though she seems to lose her accent after the first reel. Action, consisting mainly of knife-throwings and wisecracks, moves from California mansion to insane asylum to Washington hotel to San Quentin Prison, as the two principals frantically pursue a little map locating a fabulous deposit of uranium ore, a substance which seems to have supplanted buried treasure in the cinema palaces these days.

Though this is a film that should draw a guffaw or two from all but the most sedate, the humor all too frequently descends to either the crudest of slapstick or aged witticisms of the "who was that lady I saw you with last night" ilk. But Hope seems to have the uncanny ability of wringing a smile of some sort out of the Himsiest of material, by means of a sidelong leer, a sucer, or a facial contortion. And it's pleasant to see Hollywood give one of its standard plot formulas a genuine kidding for a change. They insist, however, upon ending it up with the customary finale for all Bob Hope pictures, and dragging out a well-known Paramount extra to give a little performance in pantomime.