Varsity, '51 Swimmers Down M.I.T.

Individual brilliance was the keynote last night at the M.I.T. pool as the varsity swimmers took seven of nine firsts to chalk up a 46 to 29 win over the Engineers. Jerry Gorman and Ted Norris, who won their own events and then teamed to clinch the 300-yard medley, stood out among the victors. The Yardling team took the curtain-raiser from its Tech opposite number by a 45 to 21 count.

Big surprise of the evening was Milt Buzby, who captured top honors in the 50-yard freestyle to provide an unexpected five points for the Crimson. This offset an unlooked for Tech uprising which netted the home team first and second places in the 150-yard backstroke event.

Ted Norris, national long-distance champ, and Jerry Gorman, his erstwhile running mate, went separate ways last night and thereby managed to increase their effectiveness. Norris, as expected, won the 220- and 440- yard freestyle events, while Gorman copped the 100 free and swam the anchor leg in the 300-yard medley relay.

Chuck Hoeizer was also his usual capable self in the breaststroke race, taking top place, while Tom Drohan led two Tech divers to rack up a win off the board. Tommy Woods, up from last year's freshmen, managed a third in the backstroke.

Freshman Toppic Engineers

Bill Brooks' Yardling swimmers, piling up an early lead, had little difficulty in downing the Engineer squad. 50-yard freestyler Burke, 100-yard backstroker Gwynne, 200-yard freestyler Hills, and 100-yard freestyler Moffat took the four Crimson first places. The team of Buffington, Reinohl, Sherwood, and Tolf won the 200-yard relay.

Swimming Summaries

The varsity summary:

300-yard Medley: won by Harvard (Wood, Hoelzer, Gorman). Time, 3:07.

220-yard freestyle: Won by Norris (H), second, Arthur (H), third, Mellin (MIT). Time, 2:23.7.

50-yard freestyle: Won by Busby (H), second Leonard (MIT), third Edgar (MIT). Time, 24.7 sec.

Dive: Won by Drohan (H), second Lehmann (MIT), third Ellis (MIT).

100-yard freestyle: Won by Gorman (MIT), second Buzby (H), third Searle (MIT). Time, 55.6 sec.

150-yard backstroke: Won by Pitler (MIT), second Dann (MIT), third Woods (H). Time, 1:46.4.

200-yard breaststroke: Won by Hoelzer (H), second Pellotier (MIT), third Ulen (II). Time, 2:33.9.

440-yard freestyle: Won by Norris (H), second miner (H), third Kellom (MIT). Time, 5:13.8.

400-yard relay: Won by M.I.T. Harvard team was Phinney, Lange, Weatherhead, and Fox. Time, 3:48.2, (New M.I.T. record).