Freshman Swimmers Face M.I.T. Saturday In Opener of Season

A completely novice Freshman swimming team will take to the water Saturday against an M.I.T. yearling squad which is reputed to be the equal or surpasser of the Tech varsity.

Since practice started with three weeks of calisthenics back in September, Coach Brooks has built his men up to the point where they swim a maximum of 72 laps a day, or approximately a mile. In this long training period, Brooks has had a chance to scrutinize his material and discover several promising mermen.

Brightest of thes estars is rangy, six foot three inch Tom Woods who, Brooks believes, will develop into an exceptional backstroker. Woods, who was not a great start at Exeter last year, seems to have come into his own this fall.

Saturday Meet

In Saturday's meet, veterans Art Phinny, Grover, and Chamberlin will represent the Yardlings in the freestyles, and Sicular and Ward in the 220. Woods and Martin Lomask will take card of the backstroke. Gray Johnston, who has a unique but effective butterfly breaststroke, and Art Weston will swim the breaststroke, while Winslow Briggs, who has never dived before in competition, will handle the diving assignment. The relay teams are not yet settled.

This year's Freshman team has been laboring under two handicaps. First because of pool limitations the squad must be kept as near twenty as possible, and second, Freshman practice consumes but seven and a half hours a week, in order not to hamper the Varsity mermen.