PLAYGOER

At the Shubert

"Marinka" is the fourth offspring of the modern classic "Oklahoma" and by far the worst. The first three, "Bloomer Girl," "Sing Out Sweet Land," and "Carousel," each borrowed stars, writers, and choreographers from "Oklahoma" and each kept up the healthy, vigorous atmosphere.

This time petite Joan Roberts and bellowing Harry Stockwell have been joined in a slightly better than mediocre musical combining history and romance. The program lists Vienna as the scene, but a waltz strain now and then is all that is Viennese in the show. Aside from the costumes and snappy Austro-Hungarian salutes, it might take place in Chicago.

The music proves the biggest disappointment. Emmerick Kalman's score cannot make up its mind whether it is trying to imitate Strauss's "Rosalinda" or the Rodgers technique. It falls somewhere in the middle. However, two or three songs are likely candidates for popular favor, "Sigh by Night," "One Last Love Song," and "Treat a Woman Like a Drum."

The flimsy story, based on "Mayering," depicts a pompous fop of a Crown Prince (played by Stockwell) who wins the love of Marinka, a Viennese debutante (played by Miss Roberts). Whenever the feminine half of the combination appears on stage, the show becomes agreeable and the singing light and pleasant. Without Miss Roberts, "Marinka" would not have dared open. elh