Creating a Ripple

This week the glory of the gala commencement on May 27, to which the WAVES of the NSCS have been looking forward since the first day at Radcliffe, ended away in the cold light of the order extending courses on this side of the River until June 11. For us the event will mark the commencement of two long days of final examinations in the main unit of work, and we hope that participation in the ceremony two weeks ahead of actual graduation will have at least one beneficial result in inspiring us to greater success immediately thereafter.

Reactions Mixed

Reactions to the extension announcement varied with class standings. Those in the lower third of the disbursing class, with a breath of relief, recognized the extra two weeks as a period of grace in which to raise averages; whereas, the top third was dismayed over the increased possibility of slipping. The main objection of the center block was that of the students as a group: THAT DAY of getting out into the field and putting our larnin' to work has been set ahead that much farther. But the sincere desire to know the job and be well-equipped on taking a billet has overcome the first disappointment. Only the girls in the supply group, who believe they will know plenty by May 27, still feel double-crossed. Maybe the original six weeks is long enough to learn supply. We suspect most everyone realizes now that six weeks was never long enough for ten weeks of disbursing.

* * *

Hurray for the Navy Supply Corps School (Harvard Branch)! It has been discovered in a roundabout way that student morale officers (both M and F) were busy planning social affairs, but as far as anyone could find out for a long time, their net accomplishment seemed to be the cultivation of a lovely acquaintanceship with each other. Scuttlebutt was rife on the subject of who was going to entertain whom in the very hear future when on Monday evening the matey came by to ask "All secure?" and "Are you going to the tea dance to be given for us on Saturday from 1600 to 1800 by the men of the NSCS?" Gentlemen, we are happy to be your guests.

* * *

Coeducation in another sphere was temporarily thwarted by an abundance of spring rain last Friday and Monday. The review on May 6 necessitated drill practice with the MEN--an unprecedented event in this lady's Navy--and we would gladly have given up some of May's flowers for the opportunity of meeting the schedule. But plans washed up the first two days. Sorry to say, some girls who never liked rain before actually blessed the elements for spoiling things. But honestly now, girls, wouldn't it have been better that way--all pals together, as it were--than having to stage that hasty and inglorious practice last Sunday at 1945, trying to arrive at the proper way to turn in columns of twelve, before the reviewing stand of our Sunday afternoon dates left on the steps of Briggs Hall?