PLAYGOER

At the Cambridge Summer Theatre

Following on the heels of "Othello" is far from an easy spot for any play, but the Cambridge Summer Theatre's selection of "Out of the Frying Pan" proved to be a fortunate choice. Francis Swann's comedy about a gang of screwball actors in one of the funniest things to hit Boston this summer, and some clever acting and smooth direction add immeasurably to the general merriment.

Sally O'Neil heads the cast as the stage-struck Boston debutante, whose friends says: "She isn't really ignorant; just dumb." The really juicy part, though, is Gaylord Mason's. He's Norman, the guiding genius of the mad household of actors who will--and do--resort to anything to get the attention of a theatrical producer. He plays the part up to the hilt, with enough vigor and enthusiasm to keep the whole thing going by himself.

The play is somewhat unevenly written, with the result that none of the characters remain as consistently funny as they are in a number of choice spots. Charles Bell, as George, the wackiest actor of the lot, steals the first act with a wonderful set of lines; but after that he doesn't have much to do, even though everyone waits anxiously for him to swing back into stride. Mary Barthelmess, who plays Kate, the glamour girl of the outfit, suffers from the same sort of thing; her wisecracks pop like fireworks for a while, and then simmer along for the rest of the show.

Nancy Duncan turns in another of her excellent performances as Mrs. Garnet, the eccentric landlady who is never quite sure when her weird tenants are acting and when they're being themselves. For that matter, no one else is too sure about it either, which probably accounts for the good time the actors seem to be having playing their parts.

A major portion of the credit for the play's success belongs to Robert Perry, whose deft direction hits just the right pace and spirit for this type of comedy. You'll agree with the management's reminder that "the characters and events in the play are purely imaginary and anyone claiming resemblance or similarity ought to be ashamed to admit it."