PLAYGOER

At Agassiz Theatre, Radcliffe

Tonight and tomorrow night the Radcliffe Idler Club will present as its spring production the best mystery play of the last few seasons. "Ladies in Retirement" was the first of the long series of murder plays, both comic and tragic, that have flooded Broadway--culminating in this season's "Angel Street." But "Ladies" has not yet been surpassed for not only is it excellently constructed through plot and dialogue, but it is also finely executed in characterization and in use of comic relief upon a tragic theme. Anyone who saw the Flora Robson production of this play will remember it as the outstanding portrait of a murderess, her motives, and her downfall.

For this show, under the able direction of Phyllis Stohl, Idler has gathered together its finest talent of recent years and presents several very competent new-comers. In the leading role appears Claire Rabinowitz whom many will remember from "The Ascent of F-6" and "Waiting for Lefty." Though in the dress rehearsal last night, she did not quite reach the depth of characterization that the role requires, she gave evidence that she is still adding to her portrayal and will present a fine performance tonight. Mary Douglas has the delightful part of Leonora Fiske which she plays well but with some inconsistence. The best part of the production, however, comes from three new-comers to the Agassiz Theatre. Gertrude Wind and Jane Spencer as the two balmy sisters add the plaintive touch of comedy that makes the play so poignant. Jane Spencer's performance is some of the finest amateur acting that has been presented in any of the productions near Harvard Square and is alone worth the admission fee. Along with them comes Edith Bronson playing the role of Lucy, the maid. Her acting is of the most charming sort--and we might add that she is too. Albert Feather, the villain, is done by Jerry McMechan with a dash and swagger that deftly betray his shallow bravado.

This production is the finest that Idler has presented in three years and is definite indication of even better shows to come.