Sports of the Crimson

At long last, it looks as it Harvard's up and down basketeers are on the upward curve for the rest of the season.

If Saturday's record-breaking performance against Columbia is any indication, the new lineup which showed up so favorably in the scoring column has just what the team has sorely lacked all season-that is, height and fight.

The new lineup, which should stack up favorably against any in the league, was partly the result of the fast development and phenomenal rise of one of the tallest, perhaps the tallest, basketball players ever to wear a Crimson uniform. The man is Hugh Hyde and he stands six feet, four inches off the ground.

Buckley Returns to Form

One of the other big factors in the new lineup of Burditt, Lutze, Buckley, Hyde, and Rothschild has been the return to form of Ed Buckley who scored over 100 points in league competition last year and was second only to Joe Romano in the individual race on the Crimson squad.

The 15 points racked up by each of these men Saturday should serve warning on the remaining league opponents of the team's new change of face.

Brightest news of all for Crimson hoop fans is the rapid rise of Sophomore Bunks Burditt above all expectation so far this season. The lanky center is now in fourth place in the individual league scoring race with 102 points in seven games, behind Olsen and Munroe of Dartmouth with 128 points each and Lawry of Princeton with 108.

What is even more interesting to Crimson fans is the fact that he is only second in the league in game averages, scoring 14.6 points a game to 15.4 for Lawry. If he keeps up this rate in the five remaining league affairs, plus about seven extra points, he would be able to beat the all-time season scoring mark set by Gts Broberg of Dartmouth at 108. As it is now, he has to get 26 points in two games to catch up to the twin scorer from Hanover, Olsen and Munroe.

May Better Last Year's Mark

Since the Crimson squad has already blown any chances it had to figure in the race for the league crown, it still has a very good chance to improve its record of last year, when it tied with Princeton and Yale for fourth and seventh place with four victories and eight defeats.

It all depends upon this weekend's doubleheader with Penn and Princeton whether the team improves its present fifth place standing. As the league stands now, Dartmouth seems to have another title almost within its grasp with seven victories and two defeats.

Although three other teams also have only two losses so far, Cornell, Princeton, and Penn, it looks as if Princeton will end up. In second place, followed by the Big Red.

The league dark horses are Penn and Princeton. The Quakers were hardly given a chance in pre-season dope, but their feat of dumping the Indians 52 to 49 last Saturday at the Palestra must be chalked up with Harvard's victory over the same Indians as the two biggest upsets of the 1941-42 season. Penn has only played in six games to date, but it looms up more and more as one of the best teams in the circuit.