THE VAGABOND

Vag staggered waveringly into his room, his senses dead, his mind a buzzing, clattering chaos of emptiness. Somewhere ahead in the vague, formless distance a chair loomed up, sunk out of sight, bobbed up again, and finally disappeared. As he was subconsciously wondering where it had gone, the Vagabond felt something hard and unyielding below him; looking down, he made out the dim outlines of the chair, its arms surrounding him familiarly. That's where it is, his mind said to itself automatically, and as the walls bowed and nodded and pirrouetted their assent, Vag tried to pull himself together.

"Many people," his rational mind said to his whirling senses, "make the dean's list," and again the walls indicated their agreement, this time audibly, with a long, low grunt of assent. "And therefore," pursued his mind, encouraged by this moral support which encompassed him, "there is no need for this display of emotion, or rather of complete lack of self restraint."

"True," returned one of the senses which had stopped gamboling just long enough to catch the last word of the sentence. "But History 1 University Hall and relations dear sir not to be severed is too much for me." At this point the chair hopped conclusively, indicating its joy at the relations not to be severed.

And suddenly Vag's head cleared; the room became silent and motionless; the chair maintained a dignified silence. Vag reviewed the events of the day with delicious relish. It had started out as an ordinary day, nothing strange, nothing unusual. Vag had got up, gone to class, gone to sleep, gone home, gone back to bed. He forgot just when it was that he had got the news, or how, but he could never forget what that news was. Four B's! He rolled the words over and over on his tongue, four B's, four B's, four B's. The fact that each of those B's had a little dash connoting minus after it did not lessen the ecstasy he felt in his mouth as those delicious sounds rolled off his tongue; four B's, four B's. That night, with his head resting on his desk blotter, Vag dreamed that he had joined the immortals.