PLAYGOER

Joy Street Playhouse

The latest production of the intrepid New England Repertory Company is one of the best comedies yet written in America. S. N. Behrman's first produced play shows its fifteen years very little and is still Behrman at his best, far superior to the current "Pirate." It tells the story of an intelligent but impecunious writer who must choose between a woman with beauty but no money and another with money but no beauty. There are several hilarious situations, and the dialogue is brilliant. "The Second Man" will probably become a classic because of its superb handling of one of the fundamental principles of the drama: that Comedy must be based on Reason, while Tragedy is based on Emotion. This is a play consciously and delightfully concerned with the human mind.

Carol Wheeler, an excellent young actress, gives the best performance in the show, looking so lovely that, by Hollywood standards, she wouldn't have to act at all. John Rand '43 plays her amusingly inarticulate suitor. When these two are on the stage, the play is what Behrman intended it to be. Adele Thane does well in a thankless part, and the setting is unusually effective.

The leading part, however, is far from the ideal, and even farther from the script. Russell E. Offhans, "known to New England radio audiences as 'Farmer Russ'"; does his best, but he is completely miscast. His peculiar delivery has played havoc with the supposedly swift pace of the play.

Even so, it is certainly worth a trip to Beacon Hill for a glimpse of Behrman and an eyeful of Carol Wheeler.